Monday, August 25, 2008

Easy Eco Mondays - Grocery Bags

If you are like me, you always buy too many groceries for the week and end up throwing out food because fresh items have gone bad…. I have been trying to curve my shopping in order to avoid this unnecessary waste. Here are the three ways I have found help – Please send me any ideas you have!

  • Bike to the grocery store. I always think twice about buying too much when I know that I have to carry it back home with me. If I bring the right backpack, I can use it as a basket while I wander around the store. That way I know that I won’t buy more than I can fit into my backpack. I have also seen baskets on the front or back of bikes which are detachable so you can take those in with you.
  • Remember that shopping baskets are deceptively large. I think I usually need 2-3 cloth bags when I show up at the counter with a full basket. Sometimes I just use the cloth bag as my basket (like above with the backpack).


  • Buy in Bulk: If you are cooking/baking for a specific meal then try to buy all the out of the ordinary items in bulk. I read somewhere that a lady took her measuring cup to the store and would use it to make sure she didn’t buy more than her recipe called for! Save-on-Foods has a pretty great bulk section.
  • If you want to save money too - check out one of my first blogs... I couldn't by anything for more than a dollar a pound - it also made it difficult to buy too much!
  • Lastly if you do buy too much, try to freeze some of the perishables. Berries and fruit are great to freeze and then use in a smoothy, but even cooking the slightly off looking spinach and then freezing it works. If you have the time that is….

Here's to less wilted lettuce!

No comments:

Post a Comment