Monday, September 15, 2008

Terry Fox Never Gives Up

Today, myself and several of my co-workers participated in the Terry Fox Run, even way up here in the cold arctic! The poster on site says we will be going outside of an hour to participate in the run. Initially I was scoffed at the thought of putting an all this warm clothing just to go outside in the cold for an hour. But then I remembered Terry Fox. He was only 18 when he was diagnosed with cancer and had to have his leg amputated just above the knee… Instead of giving up, getting a wheelchair, or using the amputation as a crutch and he decided to do one of the toughest things to do with only one full leg… run…. And run harder and longer than I ever have – with my two perfectly fine legs. What I don’t ever want to forget is that Terry Fox ran a marathon everyday for 143 days, and in the end with cancer. I can’t even bring myself to suffer through one half marathon, let alone a marathon day after day.
And while I am not sure that marathon running is in my future, it is the mentality of Terry Fox that I want to embody. The ability to see beyond suffering is something I long for, to be able to persevere though anything for an idea, to be able to dream lofty dreams and then be able to put in the effort to realize that dream. It can be as simple as getting out of bed on those dark cold mornings, putting in a few extra hours of work on a Friday night, or spending the weekend fixing something around the house. The ability see that in the end the work, perseverance, and struggle will will be well worth the effort is a very important skill, one that Terry Fox had even at the age of 20. Some days I question - what is life if you are not working hard, striving, struggling for a I believe? Terry Fox's mentality is the difference between success and mediocrity. So today, on Terry Fox Run Day, I want inspire myself to suffer. To give it all I have everyday and to never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment