Friday, June 5, 2009

What I was thinking then... In mourning

I have been really busy lately, hence the lack of posts.... But it doesn't mean that I haven't been writing... I do, but then something takes me away and I never finish the post. And then the post information becomes irrelevant and I feel like I can't post it any longer. Well, I have decided that I want to post these, even if what I am talking about is long past gone! So here is the first in a series if "What I was thinking then...." I'll write the date I intended to post these to give some context.

May 20th 2009


On the way home from visiting with a friend tonight, I heard that Arthur Erickson has passed away... Some of my first blog posts were on his work, and I always love when I walk by his buildings in this city. I dreamed of one day meeting him, either at an event, or just passing him on the street. I am so sad, not only because I will never be able to meet him, but because a part of Vancouver (namely Vancouverism architecture) has passed away along with Mr Erickson. I hope that those who work with his firm still push his vision forward, but I wonder, where their designs will go now that their founder, and visionary is gone...

Arthur Erickson was a Vancouver, B.C. native. He studied at UBC and McGill, and did work all over the world, but he also came back and in my opinion changed the face of the Vancouver skyline. Many people recognize Arthur Erickson's work only by the concrete that he used, and many people don't like his designs that much, so I thought I would show some of his work without concrete - I love these ones because they meld so well into the natural landscape, really making the view and nature the focal point. Aurthur Erickson's ability to design with the natural environment as the primary focus is what he should be known for, because he pushed that concept to knew heights... literally!

I hope that Arthur Erickson is smiling down at this beautiful day and is proud of the way he has shaped his home town.... and many of the homes in his town.









All of the images are from Arthur Ericskson's website. When I think of a Vancouver house, these are what I think of.... His lines are so impeccable!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete