Friday, August 5, 2016

Packing List - Day Hike Summer

I'm excited to be going on my 10th hike / mountain bike of the season! Knocking off another summer goal

Since I'm usually scrambling to get my sh*t together - I made a list of everything I had on my last hike which had us going through rain/hail/sun and wind and got me through it! 
After the rain out came the sun
  1. At least 1.5 liters of water, I like to have two containers and put electrolytes in one
  2. Hiking boots – runners are also good - or even trail runners  - see this article
  3. Hiking socks – not cotton, and two pairs - just in case one gets soaked 
  4. Gators – for mud and scree
  5. Hiking Pants - I usually wear lulu lemon ¾ length pants with no cotton, I sometimes bring shorts, but as I get up high in altitude I typically find it gets cold enough that I don’t need them
  6. Rain pants – I rarely use them, but always bring them
  7. Wick away T-Shirt x 2 – I like to change into one for lunch, typically a long sleeved T-Shirt, I lean towards a T-Shirt instead of a tank top because of backpack straps
  8. Light down jacket/ warm lightweight layer 
  9. Rain jacket
  10. Mitts & Toque (always)
  11. Sun hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, lip sunscreen/chap (always) 
  12. First aid kit (I make my own so it is lightweight
  13. Food: Lunch (sandwich), snacks (homemade trail mix!!) and 2 extra bars in case its longer than I anticipated
  14. Water purification tablets, again a good to have in case I run out of water
  15. Knife because I usually don’t bring my lunch pre made and have to cut cheese on the trail
  16. Rope - not always but sometimes, I feel like it will come in handy
  17. Bear Spray, especially with the current berry situation!
  18. Hiking poles - Some science is still out as to if it alleviates pressure on your joints, but I would rather play it safe. I typically only use them on the way down.
Other things I bring for the car are:
  1. Coffee for the drive out, I leave a little for the drive home
  2. Cooler with beer/soda/cold water
  3. Sandals for changing into when returning to the car
  4. Snacks for the ride home
  5. Good tunes! 
 Let's hope this list helps my packing tonight! 


No comments:

Post a Comment