Monday, September 12, 2016

Saucy.

Life mission 3,496: Find the best Spaghetti Sauce.

The leaves are changing colour - there is a crispness in the air and there has even been snow in the mountains. Fall is definitely here. And with fall comes my desire to cozy up, tuck in and eat a lot of pasta! 

Years ago I discovered this lasagna recipe from Gluten Free Goddess which was to die for! 
This is what got me hooked on the sauce - by far one of the best lasagna recipes I've tried!

I realized that it was the sauce that had all the flavours I loved. Since then I have been trying to adapt it into a meat spaghetti sauce with moderate success. Until last night! (Thanks to Jo Mama) I think I finally cracked the nut, and now have to pen the recipe before I forget all the random ingredients I threw in. 

Ingredients

1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes 
1 can tomato paste
1 1/4 cup of roasted red peppers 
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (I forgot this but imagine it would be great)
4 very large garlic cloves (2-3 tablespoons of cut garlic)
2 lbs of ground beef
1/4 to 1/2 a white onion diced
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp molasses
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp or more of red wine
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons sage
2 teaspoons basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Parmesan Cheese
Spaghetti noodles

Directions

  1. Dice onion and garlic, keep separate
  2. Place onion in skillet and cook on medium to high heat
  3. Add ground beef to onions, add half the garlic to the skillet and continue to cook at medium to high heat until meat is fully cooked
  4. In a blender / food processor - add diced tomatoes roasted red peppers and sundried tomatoes - blend until pureed
  5. Pour tomato / roasted red pepper mixture into a large pot, add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, the remaining garlic, balsamic vinegar, molasses, olive oil, red wine, and the spices, less the salt and pepper, put on a low simmer
  6. When meat is cooked add to the pot of sauce and let simmer for 20 minutes, taste the sauce and add salt and pepper to taste
  7. Either keep pasta sauce simmering for hours (adding extra water if need be) or let it simmer for another 40 minutes (so it has simmered for about an hour total) and then boil some water for pasta 
  8. Spoon onto pasta, top with parmesan cheese (you can also add parmesan to the sauce)
  9. Lastly - I think this could be used for meat lasagnas as well. It goes great with Portobello mushrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment