Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Summer Goals - September Recap

Ok, so there is snow on the mountain tops and my furnace has kicked in - but I'm still not willing to admit that summer is over! 
  1. Plant a garden at the lake and at home
    • Status: I just dug up my garden at the lake and ate potatoes, beets, carrots, zucchini, and had wonderful spices all weekend long! It was just wonderful. Now I am thinking about how to improve my soil for next year! 
  2. Spend 7 days at a lake, especially shoulder weekends 
    • Status: 7 nights down! I was lucky enough to have access to the cabin on the September long weekend, so I took full advantage. It was such a great way to decompress and relax after quite a busy summer! The weather wasn't great but it was a blessing in disguise since it allowed me to really do nothing except for stoke the fire, read my book and cook (and eat) food! I'll likely be up there for one more night when I put the cabin and garden to bed, so I may even beat my 7 nights!
  3. Camp in my Siesta for 10 nights
    • Status: I've spent 4 nights in it so far. The last two nights were out of the blue and so much fun! The trailer isn't 100% complete STILL but it still worked great! With another trip planned for September, I'm at least going to get 1/2 way there! 
  4. Overnight camp in the backcountry for 5 night
    • Status: No change from last time - only 4 nights down - all from one trip!
  5. Go on 10 hikes / back country mountain bike rides
    • Status: Completed! My day hikes were  - Three sisters (Fernie), Bourgeau Lake (Banff), Lone Pine (Tofino), Barrier Lookout (Kananaskis), Bertha Lake (Waterton); my mountain bike rides were: Castle Mountain (Fernie); my multi day trip was to the Enchantments (Washington State), and I have 1-2 more in the planning stage!
  6. Have 3 BBQs at my house 
    • Status: Fail - it's hard to BBQ when I'm never in town! I've had one person BBQs, and people over for breakfast but nothing more... I am hosting book club this week, so if BBQs = people over then I can maybe sneak by. 
  7. Bike over 200 km on my road bike 
    • Status: After reaching 500 km, I kind of slowed down my riding, but did manage to go on a great road biking trip near Millerville, until the road became gravel! I really do love riding, but have noticed that it is quite hard on my hips. I'll have to be sure to keep on stretching them!
  8. Go to Waterton Lakes National Park 
    • Status: On an impromptu trip I went down in my trailer with a friend from out of town. It was way easier than I anticipated, and while the week leading up to the trip was very busy and I was hesitating on going... I'm so glad I did! I feel quite rejuvenated this week and it was great to see a place I've been dying to get to! 
Views from  the Price of Whales Hotel
Overall, I've done better than I anticipated for the summer, but I'm also exhausted, which makes me re-think my list for next year. I'm so happy I pushed to do all these things -  because it really got me out and didn't allow for any indecision, but I'm not sure that going at break back speeds is also what I want (the grass is always greener...) - As the leaves turn to yellow, I hope to take a few weeks to reflect, collect my photos and memories from the summer and take away some learnings from this summer's to-do list! 

The major up side is that even though the weather this summer has been less than ideal (thundershowers almost everyday), I managed to get out a lot. I feel like this list helped motivate me get out despite the weather - it's so easy to pull the plug when the forecast looks gloomy and plans aren't set in stone, but making plans and having a list to tick off really helps me get out there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment