Saturday, February 25, 2017

Capsule Wardrobe

As I listed in the last post - I have built myself 2 Capsule Wardrobes. 

While doing the MariKondo Method over a year ago, I really paired down my wardrobe, and it felt awesome! I loved that I had only a few things to wear when I went out, deciding what to wear was much easier (not to mention I spent less time putting away clothes!)

But over time, I started to buy items again and I had a bit of a hayday with all the sales in November and December of 2016, so I wanted to bring myself back to a paired down wardrobe. But I couldn't figure out how many items to remove. And then I started to read more about Capsule Wardrobes. Others have been chatting about it too - here, here, here, and here. It was inspiring to see that it has staying power - Unfancy has been doing it for over two years! 

So I started to remove items from my wardrobe. It was difficult - there were many things that I could not part with permanently, so I put them in my storage area so that I could add them to my next capsule wardrobe. 

So here are my two capsules:

Work  
This one is not that exciting, I essentially already had a capsule wardrobe. I have several pieces by the same brand that are all the same fabric/colour/cut and can be mixed and matched.  
  • 3 pairs of pants (same suit)
  • 4 dresses
  • 2 skirts
  • 8 blouses
  • 2 pairs of heels 
  • 3 suit jackets
Lifestyle  
This one is a bit more fun, so I photographed some of the items. It includes:  
  • 2 pairs of jeans
  • 1 blue & black pair of leggings
  • 1 black pair of leggings
  • 2 plaid shirts - white and blue and reds
  • 2 sweaters - pink and grey
  • 1 tank top - lace
  • 1 black long sleeve T-shirt
  • 1 black short sleeve T-shirt with leather detail
  • 1 grey short sleeve T-shirt
  • 1 chambray shirt
  • 2 silk long sleeve shirts both black with patterns
  • 1 black jumper
  • 3 open sweaters 2 grey and 1 black light grey shirt
  • 1 light grey skirt
It is hard to take photos of clothes not on people or hangers!
I've noticed a few things about the items in my capsule. There is a lot of black. I shop at mainstream (and fast fashion) stores. I am agnostic to expensive or higher quality items. Once I like something I repeat (my jeans are the same cut and brand, just a different colour).

Eventually I would like to have a wardrobe full of independent or local and ethical clothes but I'm in no rush to convert my wardrobe. Honestly, I love everything in my closet. When I look at my capsule, it brings a smile to my face and I can't imagine changing out any item, even though I am sure those sweaters will be a little warm come summer. 

The funny thing about this view is that before I made a capsule, I didn't love each item in the capsule - the pink sweater wasn't the exact pink I was expecting when I ordered it online (there is some rust in it), I like to JCrew chambray shirt more than the Gap one I am wearing and so on. But now that they are part of my capsule, I love them. I cannot begin to describe what has changed my view of my items, but I really like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment